It was our first day at the beach, and the nip in the air made it clear that we’re still in spring, not to be confused with the blistering heat of summer. What an odd spring we’ve had around here. Very dry and chilly, with hot days thrown in here and there. We are in dire need of some good rain, and I feel horribly guilty about watering my yard every other day, but I am desperate to keep the few plants we have alive. My garden plot is coming along slowly. I planted much later this year than ever before, and so it feels like such a slow start. I am hoping by next week to start harvesting salad greens. I just hate buying greens at the grocery store and market this time of year. I should be swimming in them! I managed to harvest one measly bunch of radishes, and decided to try a quick pickle. I used the recipe from Cookie and Kate, with a few tweaks. They are fabulous on everything from my morning eggs to dinner salads and sandwiches.
Spicy Quick Pickled Radishes
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
1. Thinly slice radishes into rounds and place them in a canning jar along with the black peppercorn.
2. In a saucepan combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, giving it a good stir. Pour the brine over the radishes, and allow the mixture to cool.
3. You can serve the radishes immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
It simply wouldn’t feel right to let Memorial Day pass without acknowledging the men and women who have so bravely served our country. My brother is one of those men, and he is our hero. He’s the shirtless one (of course!) and we love him dearly.